Wednesday, April 27, 2005

So a few moments ago, I spoke with a reporter from the Daily Herald. She is doing an article on the Out of the Darkness walk for next week, since May 4-10 is National Suicide Awareness week. She wanted to have a personal story for her article, and well, I happen to have one. (duh)

It was kinda weird, trying to sum up everything all at once. She asked about Laurie, and about her death life, and such, and asked why we want to participate in the walk. Honestly, I can't recall exactly what I said. Something about making the community aware of how huge suicide really is, and wanting to help others who are suicidal, or are surviving a suicide.

After I hung up, that's when it hit me. I am surviving a suicide. I have no idea how, but I am surviving it. I thought about how bizarre this is, in so many ways. Like how I am finally learning how to refer to Laur in the past tense. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long, or why it feels like a big deal, but it does.

I keep having this feeling like the answer to all of this is right around the corner. Like it's all going to make sense, and it won't be just about the grief anymore. Logically and realistically, I know this isn't likely, but the " all just hanging out there" feeling is growing a bit cumbersome. I just want a direction to take this all in... I'm getting weary of wandering aimlessly in my own brain, feeling unsure of myself and how I am doing, really. There are moments when I feel like I am sure I'll be just fine, and moments that I can't breathe because of sadness and fear.

Fear. That's a hard one to wrestle with. Fear that I'll never get over this. Fear that I'll forget her. Fear that I'll lose someone else today. Fear that I am doing this all wrong, and I'm missing something, and when I realize it I'll flip out.

Fear that nobody hears me, and I'm just talking to myself now, all the time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
You ARE a survivor--and you are NOT alone. God is with you, Laurie is with you in spirit, you have your family and most of all you can have peace in your heart knowing that Laurie has peace now and is with her heavenly Father. Be strong Katie.

Eve said...

I hear you loud and clear. Real person: hearing, listening, being tapped into by your words. The word fear pierced me...maybe that is what some of what is underlying my craziness..fear that someone else will leave me without closure..without a chance to hash it out...abandoned to wrestle with all of these feelings that clobber you when you least expect them or to more horribly move on as if nothing happened...I fear it all.
Thank you katie. thank you for all you are and all that you will be and for this moment.

Barb K said...

Hmmmm...Katie, I marvel everytime I think of you, everytime I read your words, everytime I am with you. I marvel at the way you are knit together in so many amazing ways. Know you/we are surviving and will be able to carry on with our memories of Laurie fully intact. The one thing we clearly have is a wealth of her...pictures, videos, journals, notes, her friends, her family. I love you, this morning, tonight and forever. Love, Mom

PixieGirl said...

Katie,

Once again you've given words to the creeping shadows inside me. The fear and the maddening need to rationalize this stuff can be so heavy to carry. Surviving this is a small steps process. You'll never forget Laurie. She's tucked into your core. Keep her there, but don't let her stop you from living your life. That would be like cheating yourself. Know that I love you. More importantly, GOD LOVES YOU!