Monday, June 06, 2005

Do you know what I was doing at this exact moment 21 years ago? Believe it or not, I do. I was 5-years-old, and my big brother Greg decided to be super cool, and take his little sister camping. Given, we only went as far as the driveway, but he was so great, he set up our pop-up trailer for us, and we had a good old fashioned camp-out. He stayed with me, and when I couldn't sleep alone, he joined me in the back bed, so I wouldn't be scared. But as great as the sleeping outside with my cool brother thing was, the best part of the whole event actually happened in the morning. Bright and early, we were woken up by my dad, and I still remember his exact words..."You have a new baby sister!" I imagine that Greg probably knew that Dad had come over in the middle of the night to get Mom, and bring her to the hospital, but I was fast asleep, completely unaware that while I dozed, I was about to get the ultimate dream of every five-year-old little girl...a baby sister of her very own! Little La...born on June 7, 1984, exactly three months before my 6th birthday, weighing exactly what I had weighed at birth (7 lb 13 oz, if I recall...Mom?) later that evening, we got to go to visit, and honestly, I don't remember anything about Laurie, but I can still see my Mom when I first walked in, wearing her lavender nightgown, looking beautiful.
The following day, we picked up Mom and Laur at the hospital, and went straight to the Heick's. Just recently I pulled out a photo from that day, a picture of me holding Laurie for the very first time, grinning ear to ear.
So, now here it is, a mere 30 minutes away from the time she would joyously scream to the world that she was a year older. So would end the week long countdown of phone calls..."seven days until my birthday...six days until my birthday...five days, etc." In a half-hour, she'd be 21, and we'd have quite a day, with her friends and family gathered round to celebrate. We had planned to get all her friends together to hit Wrigleyville, for her first visit to the depths of the Cubbie Bear, her first legal Old Style, her first chance to have some bouncer squint at her ID, and smile when he noticed the date...but it is just not going to be.

Instead, we'll journey to the Lake tomorrow, to bring flowers. We'll take time out of our day to buy a cup of coffee and a sandwich for someone who might need it. We'll stop to thank someone we don't really know for their hard work at the daily grind. We'll sing happy birthday really loud in our cars, and I'll sit in the bleachers, I'll breathe in Wrigley, and I'll thank Laurie for 7,574 days of the best gift a big sister could ask for...Happy Birthday, Laur.

5 comments:

Barb K said...

Hmmm...yes it was 7 lbs 13 oz for both of you. You were weenies compared to Greg at 8 lbs 13 oz and Chris at 9 lbs 4 oz. But I loved you just the same. Thanks, Kate, for that great picture. Wow, what an adventure! I love you, Kate the Skate. Mom

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAURIE, YOU ARE SO, SO, MISSED. XO LOVE, AUNT GAIL

Jackie R. said...

Katie - I love the picture! I told your Mom - I'm in for the Starbucks & a sandwich deal... I'll have to think of some other creative things too! Press on - I hope the day is awesome for you!

Anonymous said...

Your Blog made me cry , laugh, and remember. I remember getting a call that day to say that the new bundle of joy was here. She had the best little cheeks, you just wanted to pinch them! Every birthday, every memory is so precious. May we make each day count and use that wonderful Laurie as inspiration!!!

Anonymous said...

Katie...what an adorable picture. I remember you so well at 5 years of age. You had the most beautiful red hair and pretty blue eyes with an adorable bright smile. You just took me back a good 20 years. I also remember how excited you were when Laurie was born and proudly announced to everyone that you had a new baby sister. I remember this because Annie came home one day and announced that she wanted a new baby sister like Katie.

Thank you for sharing that adorable picture. You are even more beautiful now and so is Laurie.

Keep the faith.

In His Love,

Mrs. G.