Saturday, May 21, 2005

I have good friends

I really do. Even as I am trudging along, frantically trying to figure out how to fix this giant mess we like to call Katie, I have good friends to back me.

  • Sara, who still calls me even when I say I want to be left alone, because she is good at knowing when I don't really mean it, and who loves my kids as if they were her own.
  • Dee, who gives so much of herself to me in so many ways, whether it is buying some nice clothes for my kids for Laurie's wake because she knew it hadn't even crossed my mind yet, or cheering me on when I am at the bottom of the pit.
  • AnnMarie, who has known me since before we could read, who makes sure to take time to write me amazing words to keep me going, and keeps me laughing all the time.
  • Sarah, who almost literally carried me through this past semester so I didn't fail out, and who grieved in the way she does, by cleaning my whole entire house, top to bottom, when we found out Laurie had died, and I couldn't bear to leave my Mom's house.
  • Dawn, who makes herself available to me whenever I need her, night or day, despite being a busy mom with a full time job. There is no doubt in my mind that she would drop everything at any moment if I needed her. She is one of the funniest people I know, and perfectly balances her way of making me laugh with her ability to comfort my tender heart. (Plus, she is taking me to a Cubs game today!)
  • Michelle, who has more than a full plate, yet she still keeps little old me on her mind. She is a master plate-spinner, and it fills me to know she considers me one of her most valuable plates.
  • Kim, who is so consistent with making sure that I know how much I stay on her heart everyday. This woman is remarkable the way she manages to wear a thousand hats, from friend to mother to hot-shot professional, and looks beautiful in every one...It inspires me.
  • Kristin W, who takes care of her ailing father every day, and still shows up with the most brilliant smile, she blows me away with her strength. She is so diligent with asking me how I am doing, and is so willing to be there when I need to talk, even at the most random times.
  • Sue, who doesn't buy my "I'm doing great" fake smile for a minute, and goes out of her way to be there for me, whether is is helping me with fundraising for the walk, or inviting me and the kids over to her house to hang out poolside.
  • "Sara Benny", who has the most tender heart and huge brain, and offers both to me all the time!

And there are so many more, from all parts of my life, who are so consistent in their prayers, and are perfectly clear in their intentions to absolutely raise me up. Elena, Dana, Jenny, Erin, Shawn, Jeff, Jason, Alex, Randi, Nick, Christian, Eve, Dan, JoAnne, Kristin D, Gina, Joe, Susana, Miki, Jackie, Stephanie, Drew, Molly, Mandy & Heidi (although you are technically family!) I'm sure I am forgetting more right now, but the cool part is that before I can even realize it, you'll be there doing something amazing to lift me up, and I'll be amazed that I forgot to put you on this list!

Thank you, my sludge-balers. I have this vision of myself at the bottom of a icky trench, with sludge and goop up to my ankles, and I'm trying not to sink further, and there are all of you around me, buckets in hand, working patiently, diligently, to bail me out, a bit at a time. It's a long and messy process, but you're there...thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, it's YOU they love unconditionally...when Uncle John was so sick, your Mom especially, (as well as others) knew just exactly what I needed when I needed it. Isn't it great to have such a loving, caring circle who know you so well? I know you treasure each and every one of them as I do my close buds. Hang in there, Sweetie. The road is very bumpy right now, and your buds will be there to soften the bumps as only they know how to.
Love you!
Aunt Karen

Aunt Sara with the yellow hair said...

Thanks, Sweetie! It made me smile to read your blog today. What a great way to start the day! See you soon...

I love you!

Love
Sara :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! This is Dawn, the one who can make you laugh (are you sure about that?!?)...I hope everyone else understands my way of "understanding", which is to let you be you, whoever you may feel like being that day! If you want to be sad, I'll be sad w/you..if you want to laugh and "get *#@arded in here" (haha) I'll do that w/you too! I think people may think I'm a bad influence sometimes, but hey...I just want to see you laugh and let go for a moment, as impossible as that is. Whatever, whenever...I'm here. Love you!