Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day...no, really...

It was nice. A nice day. Time with my kids, and in-laws, dinner with my mom and stepdad and sibs at my husband's restaurant. Even some time alone. Denver and Maya made me really cute cards, and had a ball all morning wrapping up random stuff at my mom's house in kleenex to give me. It was good.

But I'll be honest, as nice as it was, there is still one bit of my heart that hurts big time on Mother's Day. It's that one lonely, achey corner reserved just for my first born. She will be 9 in just 8 days. Wow. Honestly, enough time has passed that I don't break so much anymore, pretty much just Mother's Day and May 17. This year, though, I thought it would be different. I thought maybe, just maybe, I'd get a card, either from her parents or maybe even from her. They wrote at Christmas, and that was great. After I sent them a letter telling them about Laurie, they even made a donation to the overnight. I just wish I'd have gotten a card this week...

On the other hand, I had a fantastic time at the "Mother's Day Spa" at Denver's kindergarten. He was great, he gave me a manicure, and a massage, and we made placemats. It was really, really great. We had a ton of fun. And Saturday was his first ever little league game, t-ball. It was hilarious! The kids did great, and he loved it! (The bummer, of course, being that he was assigned to the White Sox! They played the Cubs this week, and it really was a bit hard not to root for the opposing team!)

Go figure, I've got a kid playing in Little League...weird.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie, Im a friend of Lauries and I keep up with your blogs. Thanks for sharing! I didnt know you had a child, Im assuming you gave her up for adoption. I am adopted and just recently met my birth mother and will be meeting my birth fater in June. If you would ever like to chat about that from an adoptee please feel free to email me StrawberrySwede6@yahoo.com Im here for you!!! Jen

Barb K said...

Katie,
You are the amazing mom of four beautiful children...three that you get to cherish and hug every day, one that we get to hold in our hearts. Happy Mother's Day a few days late to one of the neatest moms I know. I love you, Katie Heather.

Aunt Sara with the yellow hair said...

I still can't believe it's already been 9 years!! What a wonderful gift you gave to little Allison (ok, Nora...). I remember it like it was yesterday...Happy Mommy's Day! It was great seeing you Friday, babe. Nothing like spending the day in a kids' castle!

Love you!
Sara :)