Sunday, August 21, 2005

A toast...to the end of an era...

Alright, this post will be brief (as I am procrastinating thoroughly right now, but really don't have the liberty!) I just wanted to share something that has been on my mind for the last week or so... life, as I know it, is over.

Tomorrow morning, at 8 am, I start my final year of nursing school (assuming I do not fail out!) I'll study, and slave, and work my little butt off to keep my grades. Tommy and I will run a schedule tighter than Daisy Duke's daisy dukes. The kids will have baseball, ballet, tae kwon do, tap dancing, birthday parties, first grade, and ten million other things sure to come up on a daily basis. Tommy officially will take on a management role, after 6 months of studying, training, testing, and jumping through hoops of fire. And in May, when I graduate, I will be a real live nurse. Everyone and their mother has heard that there is a nursing shortage, so there is no worry that I will find a stellar job right after, if not before graduation. I'll take that job, and love it, and slave, and work my little butt off to do well. Tommy and I will run a schedule tighter than Daisy Duke's daisy dukes. The kids will have baseball, ballet, tae kwon do, tap...etc, etc, etc. Catch my drift?

Today is the last day of my summer break. Tomorrow, I begin the journey that doesn't end until retirement. Sure, maybe I am being a bit overdramatic, but in lots of respects, it really feels like today is the last day of an era in my life, and tomorrow is the first day of another.

Kinda depressing, kinda cool. Anyhow, wish me luck...

8 comments:

Barb K said...

Katie,
I wish you love. I wish you all wisdom, the wisdom He provides. And now that we have matching tattoos, that symbolize the covenants we make to our children, to our husbands, to our workplace, to our church and most important to our God, I think we should covenant between each other, to support each other in the ongoing life changes that life brings...Deal?

Love you, Mom

PS The tattoos were supplied today at Willow Creek. The symbol for cha seed (sp?)meaning keeping beref (a covenant) is what the tattoo stands for and yes, it is a temporary tattoo but symbolic, none the less. Gene Appel's sermon was on the Power of Promises. Going the distant: even when it hurts. And yes, there are hurts, but I have a faith covenant with God, I promised.

Bigger than Me said...

Mom, absolutely, but I have to tell you, it isn't really a new covenant, but a renewal of one made on September 7, 1978...

Love you, too!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best in your new "phase" of life! You will be one of those special professionals that along with the requisite skill and knowledge has the greatest asset of all...a loving relationship with Jesus Christ and a true heart of compassion. Your patients will be blessed!

Anonymous said...

good luck katie, from one nursing student to another. i start my new semester today and i can tell you that i'm quite nervous! but you are going to do great! study hard and finish strong! i believe in you and you will be great! i'm praying for you! hope all goes well!

Randi Bahnick

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I am so proud of you for following in my footsteps as a nurse. I am right that I inspired you!! Good luck in your last year as a student. I know you will do well but I am sure it will be a struggle as you juggle your many hats in life; mother, wife, friend, daughter,etc. Maybe next year you can sign up for being nurse at teen camp. I did it this year but I am way too old for it. Take care. Love, Mrs. H.

Aunt Sara with the yellow hair said...

Oh man, you know I can relate somewhat!! Finals this week for my first quarter of PA school--I'm just about at my wit's end! You know I'm a phone call away, and there are so many people that have great ideas about how to get your 'me' time in between whatever life is throwing at you these days. My 'time off' is five mintues to pee or eat a sandwich...I even end up studying when I work out half the time! Also, find a show you love and TiVO it...that way whenever you get to it, you'll have something worthwhile to watch to unwind! Good advice given to me: take each day one at a time, laugh as often as possible (usually means laughing at how ridiculous it is to have all of these responsibilities of learning and life on you all at once), and remember to BREATHE!!! You're going to be an awesome nurse. I'm so proud of you!!!

Love you!
Sara :)

Anonymous said...

Why do you allow the kids to rule the home?

Anonymous said...

I am in the nursing field and it is GREAT! i would not trade my job in for nothing, there are days that you come home tired and cranky but knowing that you walked out of work knowing that you made a difference and in impact in someones life whether they knew your name or not is the greatest feeling, good luck and i hope you enjoy it as much as i have!