Thursday, July 07, 2005

A drop in the ocean...

It's been awhile, and I'm not altogether in the mood for a fantastic quilt of words, so I'm just going to throw my patchwork heart on the table, and hope the stitches hold...

I'm feeling desperately small lately, like an ant viewed from the roof of a skyscraper. I'm not saying I feel unimportant, not at all. I guess I feel more like a single bolt on a space shuttle. We've all seen Apollo 13, and know what happens if even one tiny screw is missing, so I feel like I definitely have a mission, and a purpose for being here, it is just that I feel...well, small. In the midst of terrorist attacks, and missing children found dead, and hurricanes forcing people to abandon everything they know...I feel small. Perhaps overwhelmed is a good adjective, too. Its as though I see a world chock full of things that need to be done, and communities that need aid, and people to be loved, and all I can think of is "whew, that's a lot." Not exactly a jump start on saving the world, is it?

I feel like I am so small. A mere blip on the radar of the earth. I don't mean this to sound selfish, or uncompassionate, but as I sat in prayer today, all I could think of was how small I feel. "I am so small, Lord. I'm just a girl who has so much to be thankful for, so I understand that you're busy, too busy for a small girl. There are people in the world who need you today, so it's okay."

And then I sat there for approximately 30 seconds before He answered. Yup, He responded to me in a clear way. I hit play on the CD player, and the shuffler picked a song, one called "No Ocean Deep Enough" by Paul Alan. Allow me to share the lyrics...

Have you any idea how beautiful you are…
That in a million years I could not love you more
Like the sun can only shine so bright in the auburn sky
And you will never be abandoned
I will never leave you stranded
I would die to find a way to reach you…

There is no ocean deep enough
No mountain high or steep enough to keep me away from you
There is no highway long enough,
No river wide or strong enough to keep me away from you

When are you going to believe like I believe in you?
If love is a lie then there is no truth
So I'll hang it all on the wire and follow you anywhere
You don't have to be lonely or look very hard to find me
I'll be walking on your stormy sea

I know your feeling lost sometimes
I know you're losing sleep at night
Faith is hard to find and prayers are crashing to the floor
And you wonder what you're praying for

And there it was, a "Dear Katie, Love God" message. Just as I was beginning to feel too small for God, I was reminded how BIG He is. Pretty darn cool, huh? Small as I am, the creator of the universe wants to spend an afternoon hitting garage sales with me and my mom and my kids.

Now, if you don't mind... there are some "sparrows" that I know that I need to pray for...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie,
I am so glad you are back and online again. I missed you sharing yourself with the others of us who tune in and read your thoughts. Yes,I agree that Tom Cruise is ... I am not sure what is the appropriate word. I also agreed that Bailey needs our prayers as she grieves the loss of her child. We tried to pray faithfully for our daughters birth moms because we knew they would be struggling and yet we were so thankful for our bundle of joy. Take care Katie and remember even though we all are like a "drop in the ocean" God cares and loves us.
Love, Mrs. Heick

Gail said...

Katie, I just love the way you write. I could feel your concern about life. I get so overwhelmed with worry. I know God doesn't want us to worry, but I can't help it. Yes, hurriacanes, killers, sex offenders, hurting people, stupid actors, homelessness, gay stuff, Aids, terroists, hunger, orphans, everything. I hurt. I'm scared. But like you said, every bolt is needed in the shuttle. I'm a bolt you're a bolt. I love you Katie.

Aunt Sara with the yellow hair said...

Man, can I relate lately...just trying to force myself to sit for 6 hours and attempt to learn one MILLIONTH of what God made in all his infinite wisdom. Whether it's nuts and bolts, or arteries and nerve plexuses (sorry...), He constantly has me in awe these days. Every once in a while I remember why I'm here, why I'm putting myself through all this agony, and it's at those moments that I feel a little more at peace. In fact, I LIVE for those moments now. Funny how life works. :)
Call me whenever, sweetie. I could always use a study break!

Love you!
Sara :)